CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, June 21, 2009

Testing the limits

Today was a day of tests, and I mean that in more ways than one.
First, the test of patience. I was driving around today I swear all the other idiots were out to kill me. I was going around a traffic circle and I was on the inside lane and trying to exit off when some idiot pulled in the outside lane going 2 exits and didn't yield to me LIKE HE WAS SUPPOSED TO. I honked at him for not letting me through and then he pushed through, drove off, and gave me the finger. Oh man, if I wasn't in a hurry...... UGH!!!!!

Second, the test of colour. I had my belt testing today. I was a little nervous but I felt that I could only do what I knew and the rest would go from there. For one of the first times, as I was standing there before doing my form I didn't even feel butterflies like usual. I actually felt calm and collected. I was pretty impressed. I actually felt confident in doing my form too.

The self-defense portion kind of sucked, but that was mostly due to who I was partnered with. He didn't know the sweeps very well at all and in turn that cause me to do a poor job. I was hoping to be paired with Stephanie, but alas, such was not the case this time. She and I would have totally gone for it and kicked each other's trash and been great. We had been practicing a lot together too, so I would have been much more confident with her. Then came sparring. That's always a fun one. At one point I got partnered with a kid. I mostly took it easy on him, but I did manage to kick him in the head. He's just the right height and he made it just too easy. Normally I get paired with the taller guys and my legs just don't kick that high. We went for "drinks" after and had a blast just all sitting around and chatting. It definitely is a fun group to be with. I did find out that I passed so in a couple weeks I'll have my blue belt which means I'm in the advanced ranks now. This is where it starts to get really hard.

Third, a test of memory. While I was out for drinks, I got a call from my mom about something I had forgotten to deliver yesterday. It was supposed to be a favour to her, but it ended up being an annoyance because she had to come meet me where I was so that she could get the stuff done in time for tomorrow. That one is the most embarrassing for me. I am known as the "reliable one" in the family and this just made me feel silly. I really had a hard time of letting go of the stupid feeling I had over this one.

Fourth, a test of strength and car skills. As I was driving the block and a half from the Taekwondo school to the restaurant I heard something outside. Guess what it was!!! Yup, I had a flat tire. I had mentioned it when I went in to the restaurant and some people said they'd help but I forgot about it until after. We were the some of the last to leave and stopped in the washroom on our way out so by the time we got out everyone had gone. So, I did what my dad taught me, I changed the tire. I already knew how to do it from my dad. He taught me how to change the oil in the car when I was 15 or 16 years old. I know how to fix all kinds of things. Dad mostly had girls and Dave was married by the time I was 9 so dad needed someone to help him fix and do everything around the house. It was usually Karen and me as Diana just wasn't good at reading dad's mind, and you needed to to be able to work with him. So I started to change the tire. I was having problems loosening the bolts when Mr. Ford came out. He and the other leaders had been having a meeting at the same restaurant. He helped me get it so I could step on it to remove them. He was too dressed up to help so I was fine with doing it on my own. After I had 3 of the bolts removed the other guys (leaders & black belts) came out. They offered to help but I was like, I've pretty much done most of the work. But when Mr. Dugmoore came around and really got involved I let him take over and finish the job. Sometimes, you just have to let guys feel like guys and that they're helping girls out. They like to. I was appreciative, even though, at that point, I could have totally finished the job myself.

Fifth was a test of willpower. This one I completely lost. We headed to West Ed to look around and maybe see a movie. HA, ya right. So as we're walking to Build a Bear for Em to check out one she had her eye on, we passed Bath and Body works. Now, I thought I could control myself until I saw the country apple soap. The brought out the new irresistible apple last year to replace country apple but I don't like it. But since they were trying to get rid of old stock I totally stocked up on the country apple, and in doing so justified buying some other stuff too. Then we went to Build a Bear where Em managed to buy two, yes two, bears. The horse, because it was the literal last one they'll ever have, and then the snow leopard because that was why she wanted to go. Somehow, I saw one I thought was cute and was going to walk away, but I totally got peer pressured. We did have fun though and came up with some cute names. The horse is Prince, the snow leopard is Lolita Freckles, and then my tie-dyed bear is, now get this, it's the best name ever, Doctor Scottie MacD. hahahahahaha, you have to know the secrets behind that one. His nickname for short is Scottie MacHottie. So Em now has 6 of them. I have 3 but only cause I got North, a polar bear, from Em for my birthday, and then I share Lucky Min with Em and Jenn (see Sisterhood of the travelling Panda from Sept of last year). Lucky Min is even coming with me to Scotland and Em and I are going to look for a Kilt for him to wear LOL!!!

So, that is my day of tests. Not bad for a day when all I had planned was my belt testing. Definitely a fun and worthwhile day though!!!

0 comments: