CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Not again.....

Well, today was the second longest day of my life, the longest day being the day dad died and all that went along with that. I got a phone call at 6am this morning from my sister and I answered it groggily even though I had woken up by happenstance a few minutes before. I wanted her to know I was unimpressed to be woken up so early. To my shock and dismay she was phoning to tell me Bob had died in his sleep. I couldn't believe it. Mom and Bob had been married for just less than 3 months and now we're dealing with a death all over again.


Long story short she tried to wake him at 530ish thinking something was weird and when she couldn't and he was not breathing she called his son and daughter-in-law. His son drove over and his daughter-in-law called 911. After a few phone calls around from siblings I got my phone call and drove straight to moms. There were police there taking her statement and waiting for the Medical Examiner to deal with his body. Dave's wife Amanda and Karen were already there as well as Bob's son.

One by one most of us came and one of Bob's other sons came as well. There was so much shock in the room it wasn't even funny. Bob's boys are still dealing with the death of Bob's first wife, their mother, back in May of last year. She only died 10 months ago and now their father. The one blessing of all of this is that the greatest thing about mom and Bob getting married is it meant that if he was supposed to die today that he was here in Edmonton near his family and with someone instead of being alone by himself in Utah. That is especially great for the boys.

Mom wanted to go to church too since it was at 1pm so I drove her and took her. It was a great comfort for her. Everyone even came over for supper at moms and that was wonderful. Chaos with all the visitors coming to check in on mom, but well worth the blessings. We all agree though that for us kids it's way easier than when dad died. We are more here for mom and don't have to deal with all of the planning and arranging. I feel for the Patterson boys and all of the work they have to do, but we are here as a support for them and for mom. It's going to be a long week and stuff to do, but at least I'll have work to keep me busy and mom to take care of. I just was hoping to avoid this for at least a few more years.

0 comments: